Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Timed Writing (CRR)

Today in AP Literature we did a timed writing sample from an AP Literature exam. The prompt was to read a passage from a novel and analyze the figurative language the author used. For some reason I was surprisingly energetic and actually got my ideas down for this prompt. I think it was because I got great news that Ms. Lall was going to be absent but mostly because the passage was very interesting which helped me engage with the text.

What interested me the most about the text was that the whole entire passage was so descriptive. The passage was about a guy who was in a sledding race and was trying to make the finish line. Never once did the author say those words but somehow, anyone would visualize this image. I admired how the author was able to appeal to most of my senses by using fixed details on how the character felt. All throughout the passage I was able to feel this sense of urgency once the character approached the finish line. I felt like I was watching the climax to a movie and I was preparing to jump out of my seat.
Even though this text was just a passage from a test, I chose to write about this because I admire pieces of writing that make you feel something or actually have the capability to strip you of your attention to the world for a moment and makes the reader literally apart of their text.

 In order for a person to actually be able to feel this emotion from reading a book, however, they must find a book that would compliment their interests or beliefs. The main reason why people dislike reading is because they can't quite make that connection, or that link with their own thoughts. Forget about the fact that sometimes the text may be hard because if it is discussing something in particular that you are interested in, the words would just begin to make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment